A certificate dating back to January 1, 1281 decrees the exchange of land parcels that took place between Klöster (Monastary) Retters in Taunus and Nonnenkloster Tiefenthal in Rheingau. This was when the Nonnberg was first mentioned and attests to it being one of the oldest vineyard sites in the Rheingau region. Nonnberg was owned by the monasteries of the Rheingau region for over 500 years. The Tiefenthal monastery, which has been under extensive ownership of the township Wicker, was established in 1237 by Jutta von Dorndorf.